- 1209 Baker Road, Unit 506
- Virginia Beach, VA 23455
- Phone: (757) 217-9950
- Fax: (910) 292-2087
- Hours: 8AM-5PM M-F
- Contact Us: Submit Online Form
We are proud to serve Southeastern Virginia through our Virginia Beach location. Our Virginia Beach office is led by Kurt Miller, P.E. Miller has over 20 years of experience as an engineer, including in geotechnical subsurface exploration, evaluations, inspections and field supervision.
Our Virginia Beach team has an extensive knowledge of the area’s geology, enabling them to provide well-informed site knowledge to meet your project needs. In addition to geotechnical and environmental consulting services, our Virginia Beach office offers Special Inspection services to ensure compliance with International Building Code (IBC) requirements, as well as special services, such as geophysical site evaluations, floor flatness testing, StructureScan Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), Pile Driving Analysis (PDA), thermal image scanning, and more.
We would love to work with you—our team of professional engineers and CMT experts look forward to learning how we can help you build Southeastern Virginia. Visit our Services page to learn more about the solutions we provide, and consider partnering with us—fill out our simple Request a Proposal form today.
What Virginia Beach Has to Offer?
There’s a reason this coastal town is a favorite for visitors and locals alike. Positioned right where the Chesapeake Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean, Virginia Beach is a small city rich in history and full of attractions for any interest. The area’s beaches are the site of some of the first landings of Captain John Smith and his party, and years later, gaining control of Chesapeake Bay was a pivotal win for soldiers during the Revolutionary War.
Today, the city of Virginia Beach is divided up into seven unique districts: Sandbridge, Pungo, Oceanfront, Chesapeake Bay, Town Center, Inland, and the ViBe Creative district. Virginia Beach is home to three-and-a-half military bases: NAS Oceana, NAB Little Creek, FTC Dam Neck and the U.S. Army’s Fort Story. Where does the half come from? NAB Little Creek is in Virginia Beach, but has an address in Norfolk, Virginia. The city is home to the largest concentration of military personnel outside of the Pentagon, so it’s no surprise that the United States military is the area’s largest employer.
With all those military bases, the city draws a lot of year-round residents—a population of approximately 452,000. It is the largest city in Virginia, and one of the largest geographically as well (almost 497 square miles). The Guinness Book of World Records recently listed Virginia Beach as having the longest pleasure beach on the planet.
Want to learn more? Click the links below to find out why Virginia Beach could be your next home:
What We Do
Construction Materials Testing
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Drilling and Coring Services
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
To avoid the cost and stress of dealing with hazardous materials Building & Earth provides Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA) as well as lead and asbestos surveys.
- Geological Investigations
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
- Phase I ESA
- Phase II ESA
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Geotechnical Engineering Services
Our professional geotechnical engineers possess significant experience with the unique subsurface geological conditions of each region we service.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures