As a consulting engineering firm, Building & Earth provides quality geotechnical services, environmental consulting, construction materials testing (CMT) and special inspection services in the Raleigh metropolitan area. Our branches include a team of geotechnical engineers, environmental consultants, CMT and inspection services experts that deliver innovative solutions and high-caliber results to our clients. Along with our professional engineering services, we perform special inspections to confirm compliance with the International Building Code (IBC). Additionally our consulting engineers provide special services, including environmental profiling, non-invasive studies, and more.
We have 12 regional locations, including a branch right here in Raleigh, North Carolina. We are very excited to a part of one of the country’s fastest growing cities! Our consulting engineers have significant experience with and knowledge of the unique subsurface geological conditions in Raleigh and its surrounding cities. Our local branch is managed by Kurt Miller, P.E. Mr. Miller brings over 20 years of expertise to Raleigh. Working on a wide range of projects throughout his career, he has extensive field and supervision experience.
We provide a wide range of services to many different market sectors. Our professional engineers can be found performing geotechnical subsurface exploration, performing environmental site assessments (ESA), assessing quality control, performing soil testing, and much more. Our CMT experts provide a variety of field and laboratory construction materials testing services. All of our geotechnical engineers, environmental engineers and environmental consultants stay abreast of current legal and regulatory requirements and specifications. With branches across the country, our local office can easily consult with other engineering team members throughout the United States.
At Building & Earth, we pride ourselves on developing partnerships with our clients. We know your project must be successful and we stand ready to deliver on our promise of quality results provided with quality service.
Contact our Raleigh team today to learn how we can assist you with your next construction project.
What We Do
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
Equipped with extensive experience, our environmental consultants perform environmental analysis and investigations for all your project needs.
- Environmental Consulting
- Environmental Engineers staffing
- Geological Investigations
- Program/Project Management
- Underground Storage Tank Management
- Hazardous and Solid Waste Management
- Identification of Hazardous Materials in Buildings
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
Consider ordering an Environmental Site Assessment, or ESA, before purchasing a business property or a commercial structure.
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Our professional geotechnical engineers possess significant experience with the unique subsurface geological conditions of each region we service.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures
Cary Community Arts Building
Location: Cary, NC
Project Value: $20 Million
Project Scope: Provided construction materials testing (CMT) services for significant addition and renovation project including renovation of a 2 story tower and a new 3 story, 52,000 sqf. structural steel and masonry framed addition with architectural precast and brick veneer.