- 3522 Central Pike, Suite 202
- Nashville, TN 37076
- Phone:(615) 965-8900
- Hours: 8AM-5PM M-F
- Contact Us: Submit Online Form
We are proud to serve Tennessee through our new Nashville location. Our Nashville office is led by Operations Manager Buddy Matherley. Mr. Matherley has broad experience in construction materials testing (CMT), International Building Code (IBC) structural inspections, and geotechnical engineering. He has been serving the Tennessee region, both in the field and as a supervisor in this industry, for more than 30 years and now leads a team from this office that include geotechnical engineers, CMT field technicians, environmental consultants, and certified inspectors.
Our Nashville team has extensive knowledge of the area’s unique geology enabling them to provide well-informed site assessments and recommendations to meet your project needs. In addition to geotechnical and environmental consulting services, our Nashville office offers CMT field and laboratory services, Special Inspection services to ensure compliance with International Building Code (IBC) requirements, as well as special services, such as geophysical site evaluations, floor flatness testing, StructureScan Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), Pile Driving Analysis (PDA), thermal image scanning and more.
Our team of professional engineers and CMT experts look forward to learning how we can help you build Tennessee. Visit our Services page to learn more about the solutions we provide, and consider partnering with us—fill out our simple Request a Proposal form today.
What Nashville Has to Offer
If you’re a country music fan, you already know how much this city has to offer in the way of musical history, concert venues, and prospects for up-and-coming music greats. And in recent years, the city has become a land of opportunity for music of all varieties, as recording studios and producers of all kinds set up shop in the aptly dubbed “Music City.”
Nashville is home to some legendary music venues, such as the Grand Ole Opry House, the Ryman Auditorium, the Cannery Ballroom at Station Inn, and a number of honky-tonks and concert halls that have hosted performers for decades.
The Country Music Hall of Fame is also located here — and for good reason. Talk to almost any country music great about a city that has influenced their work, and Nashville is likely to be on that list. But country is not the only genre of musical talent coming out of the town. The Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi, Michael Buble, Kid Rock, Sheryl Crow, Jack White, and many more artists have also recorded music in Nashville.
The beginnings of all of this fame starting started in 1824, when the famous Western Hymnal was published in Nashville. In 1941, the city’s WSM became the first commercial radio station in the United States to receive a FM license. And a few years later, the station’s announcer gave the city its nickname. The world-renowned Fisk Singers (of Fisk University) also hail from the city.
While many visitors come for the music and the nightlife, the city is an exemplary one in its own right. The capital of Tennessee was home to a diverse population of approximately 675,000 residents according to the last U.S. Census.
The city ranks among the lowest larger metro areas for cost of living, and some of its biggest industries are health care and — you guessed it — tourism. The city has several of its own professional sports teams, including hockey and football, and is host to 20 four-year colleges, six community colleges and 11 vocational and trade schools.
There’s a reason the city has landed on list after list of the best places to live, work and visit, including, most recently, being named to Travel and Leisure magazine’s roundup of the “The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2021.” Come and join Building & Earth in Nashville – just make sure to try some hot chicken while you’re there!
Interested in exploring a career with Building & Earth in Nashville? Visit our Careers page to see our job openings. Click the links below to find out why Nashville could be your next home:
What We Do
Construction Materials Testing
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Drilling and Coring Services
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
To avoid the cost and stress of dealing with hazardous materials Building & Earth provides Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA) as well as lead and asbestos surveys.
- Geological Investigations
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
- Phase I ESA
- Phase II ESA
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Geotechnical Engineering Services
Our professional geotechnical engineers possess significant experience with the unique subsurface geological conditions of each region we service.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures