- 1211 Newell Pkwy
- Montgomery, AL 36110
- Phone:(334) 260-9174
- Fax:(205) 836-9007
- Hours: 8AM-5PM M-F
- Contact Us: Submit Online Form
We are proud to serve Central Alabama through our Montgomery location. Our Montgomery office is led by Mitch Britt, P.E. Mitch has over 20 years of experience in geotechnical engineering and construction materials testing, with over 15 years of experience working in the Montgomery region. His experience includes conducting and managing geotechnical subsurface explorations for a wide range of project types, including roadways, bridges, manufacturing/industrial facilities, water and wastewater handling structures and communication towers.
His engineering experience includes evaluation of slope stability, shrink-swell potential of plastic clays, groundwater monitoring and dewatering, bearing/uplift/lateral capacities, settlement analysis/monitoring, concrete mix evaluations, flexible pavement evaluations, field data reduction, and laboratory data reduction.
Our Montgomery team has an extensive knowledge of the area’s geology, enabling them to provide well-informed site knowledge to meet your project needs. We offer special inspection services to ensure compliance with International Building Code (IBC) requirements, such as floor flatness testing, StructureScan Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), thermal image scanning, and more. Our local team is experienced in performing the field work necessary to formulate the basis for our team of geotechnical engineers in Birmingham to provide analysis, and design recommendations specific to your site.
We would love to work with you—our team of professional engineers and CMT experts look forward to learning how we can help you build Alabama. Visit our Services page to learn more about the solutions Building & Earth provides, and consider partnering with us—fill out our simple Request a Proposal form today.
What Montgomery Has to Offer
We welcome you to the capital of Alabama! With a population of approximately 199,518, Montgomery is home to Maxwell-Gunter air force base and several international companies like Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama. Interested in making a home in Montgomery? The city adheres to a Smart Code, a zoning and planning code that encourages walkability, sustainability and mixed-use developments.
Montgomery is a city rich in Southern history. The city was the first capital of the Confederacy, and later the birthplace for the Civil Rights Movement. Take some time to visit the Legacy Museum and National Memorial for Peace and Justice while you’re in town. Ever heard of writer F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife, Zelda? They both called this city home—make sure to visit the museum dedicated to the pair, housed in their former home.
Montgomery is a city for foodies, too! Check out local favorites like Central, Vintage Year, Chris’s Hot Dogs, and more. The city boasts its fair share of arts and cultural attractions. While you’re in town, see a show at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival—one of the country’s most celebrated theatres. If you’re more into sports, head over to the baseball diamond for a Montgomery Biscuits game. Or, have your choice of water activities along the Alabama River. There’s something for everyone in Montgomery, and others are taking notice: the New York Times named Montgomery one of its 52 Places to Go in 2018.
Interested in exploring a career with Building & Earth in Montgomery? Visit our Careers page to see our job openings. Click the links below to find out why Montgomery could be your next home:
What We Do
Construction Materials Testing
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Drilling and Coring Services
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
To avoid the cost and stress of dealing with hazardous materials Building & Earth provides Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA) as well as lead and asbestos surveys.
- Geological Investigations
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
- Phase I ESA
- Phase II ESA
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Geotechnical Engineering Services
Our local team is experienced in performing the field work necessary to formulate the basis for our team of geotechnical engineers in Birmingham to provide analysis, and design recommendations specific to your site.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures