Building & Earth is a nationally recognized consulting engineering firm. Ranked nationally as one of the fastest growing geotechnical engineering firms, we are committed to delivering professional, high quality work. We are regionally based, with multiple branches throughout the United States, including Louisville, Kentucky. Our consulting engineers provide a full range of expert services for geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, construction materials testing (CMT), and special inspection services to comply with local and International Business Code (IBC) regulations.
At our Louisville branch office, we have carefully considered the geographical layout of the city and its outlying areas. Understanding the geography allows us to effectively service the local market. We have a high-caliber team of geotechnical engineers, environmental consultants, CMT and special inspections experts who offer professional and responsive service to the Derby City and its surrounding areas. We strive to develop strong relationships with our clients to truly understand their needs. This relationship helps ensure successful projects every time.
Our Kentucky branch manager, Malcolm Barrett, PE, PG, has over 32 years of experience in construction testing and special inspections services, and consulting geotechnical engineering. Mr. Barrett is well experienced with project management and coming up with out-of-the-box solutions to both technical and managerial problems.
We employ only the top professionals in their fields to deliver the excellent service and quality our clients deserve. Across our main office and branch locations, our Louisville team has access to a group of talented consulting engineers throughout the United States. We maintain an aggressive quality control program, including validation and certification of our labs by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, AASHTO, and state departments of transportation. Our professional engineers are registered in 35 states. We are dedicated to continuous training of our employees so they can remain top-notch in their field and deliver quality results.
Contact our office today to learn more about our organization and how we can make your construction project a success.
What We Do
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
Equipped with extensive experience, our environmental consultants perform environmental analysis and investigations for all your project needs.
- Environmental Consulting
- Environmental Engineers staffing
- Geological Investigations
- Program/Project Management
- Underground Storage Tank Management
- Hazardous and Solid Waste Management
- Identification of Hazardous Materials in Buildings
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
Consider ordering an Environmental Site Assessment, or ESA, before purchasing a business property or a commercial structure.
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Our professional geotechnical engineers possess significant experience with the unique subsurface geological conditions of each region we service.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures
Location: Grand Rivers, KY
Project Value: N/A
Project Scope: Building & Earth is providing quality assurance testing for the Tennessee Valley Authority’s project to build a second, larger lock to facilitate boat and barge traffic on the Kentucky Dam in Grand Rivers, Kentucky.