- Building & Earth consulting engineers specialize in providing environmental services, geotechnical services, construction materials testing (CMT) services and inspection services. A nationally recognized firm with 12 branches across the U.S., we provide high quality and professional work. Our local branch is proud to service the Huntsville area, providing technical expertise for geotechnical engineering, construction materials testing, environmental engineering, and environmental consulting.
Our Huntsville regional office understands the geography of the city as well as its outlying areas. Understanding the local layout allows us to successfully serve our clients. Our professional engineers offer expert and tailor-made solutions to the Rocket City and neighboring areas. We seek to build partnerships with our clients so that we may develop a close relationship with each client, allowing us to understand their needs and deliver quality results.
With nearly 30 years of consulting engineering experience, our interim branch manager provides strong leadership to our Huntsville team. As one of the founders of Building & Earth, Robert Adams has extensive experience in project management and problem solution. Mr. Adams has a wealth of hands-on field work experience, including performance of failure analysis, investigations, and surveys. He has managed materials construction testing and inspections operations and has developed training programs for our professionals.
Registered in 35 states, our team of professional engineers are capable of serving clients throughout the United States. We employ best-in-class professionals who are experts in their respective fields and committed to delivering excellent service to our clients. We have a robust internal quality program and training program for our engineers. Because we have numerous regional branches throughout the United States, our local team of consulting engineers can consult with expert team members nationwide.
Contact our local team to learn more about how our geotechnical engineers, CMT experts, and environmental consultants can deliver a tailored solution for your next construction project.
What We Do
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
To avoid the cost and stress of dealing with hazardous materials Building & Earth provides Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments as well as lead and asbestos surveys.
- Geological Investigations
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Our professional geotechnical engineers possess significant experience with the unique subsurface geological conditions of each region we service.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures
Governor’s Drive Widening
Project Value:$6.8 Million
Project Scope: Building & Earth Provided geotechnical consultation for sub-grade issues, field CMT and inspection services for 1/3 mile road widening project increasing capacity from 5 to 7 lanes.