Welcome to Building & Earth’s New Orleans homepage. We appreciate your visit. Building & Earth is a nationally recognized consulting engineering firm that is regionally based with multiple branches throughout the United States. We are a team of locally focused consulting engineers providing geotechnical services, environmental services, CMT services, drilling, coring and inspection services per IBC in the New Orleans metropolitan area.
Our New Orleans branch office and CMT lab, located in Kenner, LA, is strategically located between Lafayette and Gulfport. We have taken the time to carefully consider the geographical layout of NOLA along with outlying areas such as Baton Rouge, New Iberia, Metairie, and Slidell so that we can conveniently service this growing area of the United States.
Scott Smith, P.E. who joined our organization in May 2014 currently manages our Building & Earth’s NOLA branch office. Mr. Smith earned a Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Tennessee. Engineering is in the lifeblood of Mr. Smith. Scott’s grandfather established a Geotechnical and CMT engineering firm in 1960 that he ultimately turned over to Scott’s father to direct and manage. Growing up Scott would tag along with his father in the lab pounding proctors, running liquid and plastic limits, and breaking cylinders. We are excited to have Scott managing our NOLA office as he continues the proud tradition of being a third generation engineer.
The time, dedication, and passion needed to become a successful engineer requires a distinctive individual. At Building & Earth we understand the commitment that our geotechnical engineers, environmental consultants, construction materials testing and special inspection services experts have made to become professionals in their field of study. In addition every staff member within our organization maintains this same commitment to excellence. We recruit and maintain some of the best personnel available in our industry.
In conjunction with our main and branch offices, our NOLA office has access to a team of talented geotechnical engineers, geologists, environmental engineers, and consulting engineers who are the driving force behind our various projects. Contact us today to learn more about our organization and how we can assist with your construction project.
What We Do
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
Equipped with extensive experience, our environmental consultants perform environmental analysis and investigations for all your project needs.
- Environmental Consulting
- Environmental Engineers staffing
- Geological Investigations
- Program/Project Management
- Underground Storage Tank Management
- Hazardous and Solid Waste Management
- Identification of Hazardous Materials in Buildings
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
Consider ordering an Environmental Site Assessment, or ESA, before purchasing a business property or a commercial structure.
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Our professional geotechnical engineers possess significant experience with the unique subsurface geological conditions of each region we service.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures
New Orleans International Airport
Location: New Orleans, LA
Project Value: $26 Million
Project Scope: Building & Earth was selected by Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport and its construction manager, Aviation Resource Team to provide comprehensive materials testing, Special Inspections, per IBC for a $26 Million, 93,000 sf, six gate expansion to Concourse D. Additional services included floor flatness testing on floor slabs and pile installation monitoring for 1178 composite timber piles. Building & Earth mobilized an onsite lab trailer and a full time onsite field technician for the duration of the project to provide dedicated service. The project team delivered the project 3 months ahead of schedule.