- 1300 Wheeler Avenue, Suite F
- Fort Smith, AR 72901
- Phone:(479) 763-0800
- fax:(479) 756-3864
- Hours: 8AM-5PM M-F
- Contact Us: Submit Online Form
We are proud to serve the River Valley through our Fort Smith location. Our Fort Smith office is an extension of our Springdale location and is led by Myles Graham, C.E.T., and Joe Vistad, P.E. Mr. Graham is NICET Level IV certified in soils, concrete and asphalt with 40 years of experience performing construction materials testing services and special inspections per IBC.
Mr. Vistad has a decade of experience providing geotechnical consulting expertise on projects serving a wide variety of markets. His experience includes the execution, analysis and management of complex geotechnical investigation programs, environmental and regulatory analysis, and stormwater pollution assessment. Furthermore, Mitchell Osburn, another leading member of the Fort Smith team, is CTTP-certified in soils, concrete and aggregates with 5 years of experience throughout Central and Northwest Arkansas as well as the River Valley.
Our Fort Smith team has an extensive knowledge of the area’s geology, enabling them to provide well-informed site knowledge to meet your project needs. We offer Special Inspection services to ensure compliance with International Building Code (IBC) requirements, such as floor flatness testing, StructureScan Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), thermal image scanning, and more. Our local team is experienced in performing the field work necessary to formulate the basis for our team of geotechnical engineers in Springdale to provide analysis, and design recommendations specific to your site.
We would love to work with you—our team of professional engineers and CMT experts look forward to learning how we can help you build the River Valley. Visit our Services page to learn more about the solutions Building & Earth provides, and consider partnering with us—fill out our simple Request a Proposal form today.
What Fort Smith Has to Offer
As the name would suggest, the city of Fort Smith, located in Northwest Arkansas, got its start as a military post during the frontier era. Part of Arkansas’s River Valley region, Fort Smith sits on the banks of the Arkansas River and the confluence of the Arkansas and Poteau Rivers, also known as Belle Point. It is the second largest city in the state.
The city, which now has a population of just under 88,000, is a metro area steeped in history. Visitors to the city often come to visit one of the many historical sites and attractions—the city’s own tourism department is located in what was once a brothel and is now on the National Register of Historic Places. If you’re planning a trip, take some time to visit the Fort Smith Museum of History, ride a trolley from the 1930s through downtown Fort Smith, or take a train ride through the Ozark mountains. Just last year, the city opened the United States Marshals Service National Museum.
For years, Fort Smith has been a regional manufacturing hub, with businesses Rheem, Georgia-Pacific, Gerber, Mars Petcare, Kraft-Heinz and International Paper all operating plants in the metro area. The city’s top three employers are Baptist Health, Baldor Electric Company and OK Foods. Annual events include the Peacemaker Music Festival held each summer; the Fort Smith Riverfront Blues Fest; and the Old Fort Days Rodeo.
Interested in exploring a career with Building & Earth in Fort Smith? Visit our Careers page to see our job openings. Click the links below to find out why the River Valley could be your next home:
What We Do
Construction Materials Testing
Building & Earth provides a full range construction materials testing (CMT) services including Laboratory and Field Testing, Soil Testing, Asphalt Testing and Concrete Testing.
- Compaction and Moisture Testing of Soil and Base
- Foundation Observations
- Concrete testing including Slump, Air Content, Compressive strength
- Masonry Testing and Observation Services
- Asphalt Testing Services
- Modified & Standard Proctor
- Swell Testing of Plastic Soils
- Classification Tests (Gradation/Atterberg Limit Tests)
- California Bearing Ratio
- Limerock Bearing Ratio
- Superpave Mix Evaluation
- Stability & Flow
- Marshall Density
- Bulk Specific Gravity
- Compressive Strength
- Flexural Strength
- Unit Weight
- Mix Design
- Splitting Tensile Test
Drilling and Coring Services
Our drilling and coring services team has vast knowledge of testing and evaluating subsurface conditions and materials.
- Split Spoon and Shelby Tube Sampling
- Rock Coring
- Concrete Coring
- Mineral Investigation
- Borrow Pit Investigation
- Well Monitoring
- All-Terrain Drilling Capabilities
To avoid the cost and stress of dealing with hazardous materials Building & Earth provides Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments (ESA) as well as lead and asbestos surveys.
- Geological Investigations
- Site Selection Evaluation Studies
- Phase I ESA
- Phase II ESA
- ESAs to comply with National Environmental Policy Act
Geotechnical Engineering Services
Our local team is experienced in performing the field work necessary to formulate the basis for our team of geotechnical engineers in Springdale to provide analysis, and design recommendations specific to your site.
- Geotechnical engineering
- Geotechnical consulting
- Geotechnical Engineers staffing
- Subsurface exploration
- Geophysical seismic site classification
- Dynamic soils properties (seismic and cyclical)
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR) studies
- Site excavation planning including dewatering design
- Engineering geology/geologic studies
- Mechanically-stabilized earth fill design
- Sinkhole exploration and remediation recommendations
- Impoundment liner design
- Field permeability testing
- Field soil strength testing
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
We offer a broad array of special inspection services including: structured steel inspections, masonry inspections, coatings inspections, roofing inspections, pavement inspections and failure investigation and analysis.
Structural Steel Inspections
- Certified Welding Inspectors
- Audit of plant and field procedures to determine conformance
- Destructive and nondestructive testing
- Welder and procedure qualification
- Prepare and evaluate welding procedures
- Reinforcing steel observation
- Preparing and testing mortar and grout specimens
- Concrete block, brick and masonry prism testing
- Observation of conformance with construction documents
- Absorption and Efflorescence
- Fireproofing-thickness, density, adhesion/cohesion
- Intumescent Paint
- Paint – wet and dry film thickness
- Roofing Inspectors
- Evaluation of roofing materials and specifications
- Application and conformance monitoring
- Pavement management services
- Pavement Condition Surveys and tests for functional and structural distress
Failure Investigation and Analysis
- Evaluate distress in architectural and structural materials
- Provide litigation support and expert services
- Seismic Site Classification utilizing shear wave analysis (Re-Mi)
- Non-invasive studies utililizing StructureScan/UtilityScan ground penetrating Radar (GPR)
- Floor Flatness Profiling utilizing FACE Dipstick Device
- Thermal Image Scanning utilizing FLIR
- Slip Resistance Testing
- Concrete Floor Gloss Testing (Static Coefficient of Friction)
- Condition Survey of Structures